Venezuela to hold Presidential election on April 14
Moscow: Venezuela will hold a Presidential election to elect a successor to late Hugo Chavez April 14, the country`s electoral council said following an extraordinary meeting.
The council met after Nicolas Maduro, who was vice president under Chavez and sworn in as acting president Friday, instructed the council to set the date for the vote.
Chavez died Tuesday at the age of 58, following a two-year fight against cancer. He had led Venezuela for 14 years.
The late president had named Maduro as his successor before undergoing the latest surgery in December.
The Venezuelan opposition earlier called Maduro`s inauguration "fraudulent" as it argued that under the constitution the National Assembly speaker should be the one to take over as acting president.
However, Venezuela`s Supreme Court ruled Friday that Maduro`s swearing-in would be legitimate.
The inauguration ceremony for Maduro was held hours after Chavez`s state funeral, which was attended by over 30 heads of state and government, including Cuban President Raul Castro, Iran`s Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Belarusian leader Alexander Lukashenko.
Maduro will run as the candidate from the ruling party. Miranda state governor Henrique Capriles will be the opposition`s candidate. Maduro is likely to win the vote, according to opinion polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price