Venezuelan leader returning to Cuba for treatment
Caracas: President Hugo Chavez says he`s returning to Cuba for another round of cancer treatment.
Chavez said on Saturday during a televised speech to his supporters that he was travelling to Havana in the afternoon for a second round of radiation after recent surgery to extract a second cancerous tumour in his pelvic area. Chavez had another tumour removed from the same general area in June.
The 57-year-old leftist President, in office since 1999, has vowed to overcome cancer to win another six-year term in the October 07 election.
Chavez has not identified the type of cancer, nor the precise location where the tumours were located.
He is a close friend of Cuba`s revolutionary leader Fidel Castro and his brother President Raul Castro.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Erdogan wants Army under President's control after coup: Turkish official
- Chidambaram rejects Arun Jaitley's remarks on inflation
- Microsoft to cut additional 2,850 jobs from smartphone sector
- Interesting numbers on India's beggar population out! How do Hindus and Muslims fare? - Read
- Turkey military purge harming fight against Islamic State: Clapper