Vietnam in Chinese flag faux pas
Hanoi: Vietnam made an embarrassing gaffe
this week when receiving China`s Vice President Xi Jinping,
considered the future number one in Beijing, by displaying
Chinese flags bearing one star too many.
The trip was designed to improve strained relations that
deteriorated following recent tensions over the disputed South
But on Wednesday, Xi was greeted with flags picturing six
stars, while the official emblem of the People`s Republic of
China has only five -- one large yellow star surrounded by
four smaller ones.
A similar incident occurred in October, when the six-star
flag was used by Vietnam`s national television broadcaster
while mentioning a visit by the Communist Party General
Secretary Nguyen Phu Trong to China.
The official media of both sides did not mention the
latest incident, but exiled Vietnamese websites contained a
number of comments.
"We must end the activities of those selling the
Vietnamese fatherland, looking to make Vietnam the fifth star
of China," lamented an anonymous comment on the dissident site
"Dan Lam Bao" ("Citizen journalism").
"The Vietnamese Communist Party wants to become a
second-class Chinese citizen. This is a damned flag for the
Vietnamese people," said another.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- Natural to express grief over mistreatment of Dalits: LK Advani
- Hundreds of NASA's studies now available online for free!
- Status of political parties to be reviewed every 10 years
- WOAH! BJP MP Paresh Rawal launches fierce attack on India's Rio Olympics officials
- 30% to vote for SP, BJP+ 27%, BSP 26% in next UP Assembly elections: Survey