Vietnamese protests Chinese oil rig deployment
Hanoi: Vietnamese protesters have gathered outside the Chinese Embassy today in Hanoi to protest China`s deployment of an oil rig that has triggered a tense naval standoff in contested South China Sea waters.
Scores of security officers are monitoring the demonstrators as they shout anti-Chinese slogans and hold up banners.
Vietnam`s authoritarian leaders are highly nervous about public protest even as they have condemned China`s decision to send the rig. Dissident movements opposed to their rule have also taken part in previous anti-China protests.
Hanoi dispatched a flotilla of ships to the oil rig soon after it was deployed on May 1, and say some were rammed by Chinese boats. The latest sea confrontation in the disputed waters is raising fears that tensions could escalate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says