Vietnamese protests Chinese oil rig deployment
Hanoi: Vietnamese protesters have gathered outside the Chinese Embassy today in Hanoi to protest China`s deployment of an oil rig that has triggered a tense naval standoff in contested South China Sea waters.
Scores of security officers are monitoring the demonstrators as they shout anti-Chinese slogans and hold up banners.
Vietnam`s authoritarian leaders are highly nervous about public protest even as they have condemned China`s decision to send the rig. Dissident movements opposed to their rule have also taken part in previous anti-China protests.
Hanoi dispatched a flotilla of ships to the oil rig soon after it was deployed on May 1, and say some were rammed by Chinese boats. The latest sea confrontation in the disputed waters is raising fears that tensions could escalate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why