Vietnamese protests Chinese oil rig deployment
Hanoi: Vietnamese protesters have gathered outside the Chinese Embassy today in Hanoi to protest China`s deployment of an oil rig that has triggered a tense naval standoff in contested South China Sea waters.
Scores of security officers are monitoring the demonstrators as they shout anti-Chinese slogans and hold up banners.
Vietnam`s authoritarian leaders are highly nervous about public protest even as they have condemned China`s decision to send the rig. Dissident movements opposed to their rule have also taken part in previous anti-China protests.
Hanoi dispatched a flotilla of ships to the oil rig soon after it was deployed on May 1, and say some were rammed by Chinese boats. The latest sea confrontation in the disputed waters is raising fears that tensions could escalate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past