`War planes strike suspected Somali pirate base`
Mogadishu: War planes fired several missiles at a suspected Somali pirate base in the north of the war-torn country, wounding two civilians, a coastguard official said on Tuesday.
"Unknown military jets fired several missiles near the village of Gumah, elders told us at least two civilians were injured," said Mohamed Abdirahman, a coastguard.
Witnesses said the aircraft struck the northeastern coastal village lying some 220 kilometres east of Bossaso, the main port of Somalia`s breakaway Puntland state.
"Two aircraft attacked the village, which is between Hafun and Bargal towns.... It came from the sea, and I think they were targeting pirates," said Muse Jama, an elder.
Several other witnesses confirmed the bombardment, but could not give further details of the planes.
"Officials in the area are investigating the incident," Abdirahman added, speaking from Bossaso.
Kalashnikov-wielding pirates prowl far out across the Indian Ocean from their bases in northern Somalia, seizing foreign ships which they hold for several months demanding multi-million-dollar ransoms.
Last month the European Union authorised its navies to strike Somali pirate equipment on land, with a mandate for warships or helicopters to fire at fuel barrels, boats, trucks or other equipment stowed away on beaches.
However, it was not possible to establish which nation the aircraft belonged to, and the EU force have not yet said they have ever launched such an attack.
The United States also operates unmanned drones flying over the Horn of Africa nation, and have reportedly struck suspected al Qaeda allied fighters in southern Somalia.
Piracy has flourished off war-torn Somalia, outwitting international efforts -- including constant patrols by warships and tough sentencing of captured pirates.
The EU`s anti-piracy patrol has deployed between five and 10 warships off the Somali coast since 2008 to escort humanitarian aid shipments and thwart pirate raids on commercial vessels using vital shipping lanes. (AFP)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened