Whole world praying for Mandela, says Ban Ki-moon
United Nations: UN leader Ban Ki-moon has said that the whole world is praying for Nelson Mandela as the legendary South African leader fights for his life.
Ban called Mandela "one of the giants of the 20th century" at a New York reception for the 50th anniversary of the Organization of African Unity which played a leading international role in fighting apartheid in South Africa.
"I know our thoughts and prayers are with Nelson Mandela, his family and loved ones, all South Africans and people across the world who have been inspired by his remarkable life and example," Ban said on Wednesday.
"Let us all show similar conviction and sense of purpose today in working to improve well-being and opportunity for all Africans," the UN Secretary General added.
Mandela, 94, is on life support in hospital in Pretoria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra