World`s largest varsity for women coming up in Saudi Arabia
Dubai: Saudi Arabia will set up the world`s largest university for women to offer facilities to nearly 60,000 students.
With an area almost three million square metres, the Riyadh campus of Princess Nora Bint Abdulrahman University (PNU) claims to be the largest university in the world for women.
Designed by global architecture and design firm Perkins+Will, in collaboration with Dar Al-Handasah (Shair and Partners) (Dar), the campus offers state-of-the-art educational facilities in all major academic disciplines to as many as 60,000 female undergraduate students.
Unlike most campuses that often take decades to take shape, all the facilities at PNU were built concurrently and images of the campus are now being shared.
Regional architecture and cultural tradition inspired the use of latticework partitions or mashrabiy`yah to strategically screen students for privacy in exterior spaces and allow more visibility within the campus.
Perkins+Will and Dar created a women-only environment for the majority of the campus (only the Medical Centre and limited areas of the research centre are co-ed).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus