World`s largest varsity for women coming up in Saudi Arabia
Dubai: Saudi Arabia will set up the world`s largest university for women to offer facilities to nearly 60,000 students.
With an area almost three million square metres, the Riyadh campus of Princess Nora Bint Abdulrahman University (PNU) claims to be the largest university in the world for women.
Designed by global architecture and design firm Perkins+Will, in collaboration with Dar Al-Handasah (Shair and Partners) (Dar), the campus offers state-of-the-art educational facilities in all major academic disciplines to as many as 60,000 female undergraduate students.
Unlike most campuses that often take decades to take shape, all the facilities at PNU were built concurrently and images of the campus are now being shared.
Regional architecture and cultural tradition inspired the use of latticework partitions or mashrabiy`yah to strategically screen students for privacy in exterior spaces and allow more visibility within the campus.
Perkins+Will and Dar created a women-only environment for the majority of the campus (only the Medical Centre and limited areas of the research centre are co-ed).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Suresh Raina denies Lalit Modi's match-fixing allegation, mulls legal action against former IPL boss