World`s oldest Jewish person dies in US at 113
New York: The world`s oldest Jewish person, Evelyn Kozak, whose family fled Russia to escape anti-Semitism, has died at age 113.
Kozak died on Tuesday after suffering a heart attack the day before, her granddaughter Brucha Weisberger said on Thursday.
Kozak was the world`s oldest documented Jewish person and the world`s seventh-oldest person, said Robert Young, a senior database administrator at the Gerontology Research Group, an organisation of physicians, scientists and engineers who validate supercentenarians, people 110 or older.
The world`s oldest person, Misao Okawa, of Japan, is 115, the group said.
Kozak was born in New York City on August 14, 1899. Her family had moved from Russia to escape anti-Semitic attacks.
She spent much of her adult life in Miami, where she ran a boarding house for many years, Weisberger said.
"She always said a good conscience was the secret to a long life," she added.
Though Kozak had no formal religious education, she was religious, keeping kosher and observing the Sabbath. When she was 110, she started covering her hair, as many traditionally orthodox Jewish women do.
Kozak was married twice but had been a widow since 1957. She had five children, 10 grandchildren, 28 great-grandchildren and one great-great-grandson.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi