World`s oldest Jewish person dies in US at 113
New York: The world`s oldest Jewish person, Evelyn Kozak, whose family fled Russia to escape anti-Semitism, has died at age 113.
Kozak died on Tuesday after suffering a heart attack the day before, her granddaughter Brucha Weisberger said on Thursday.
Kozak was the world`s oldest documented Jewish person and the world`s seventh-oldest person, said Robert Young, a senior database administrator at the Gerontology Research Group, an organisation of physicians, scientists and engineers who validate supercentenarians, people 110 or older.
The world`s oldest person, Misao Okawa, of Japan, is 115, the group said.
Kozak was born in New York City on August 14, 1899. Her family had moved from Russia to escape anti-Semitic attacks.
She spent much of her adult life in Miami, where she ran a boarding house for many years, Weisberger said.
"She always said a good conscience was the secret to a long life," she added.
Though Kozak had no formal religious education, she was religious, keeping kosher and observing the Sabbath. When she was 110, she started covering her hair, as many traditionally orthodox Jewish women do.
Kozak was married twice but had been a widow since 1957. She had five children, 10 grandchildren, 28 great-grandchildren and one great-great-grandson.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read