World`s oldest Jewish person dies in US at 113
New York: The world`s oldest Jewish person, Evelyn Kozak, whose family fled Russia to escape anti-Semitism, has died at age 113.
Kozak died on Tuesday after suffering a heart attack the day before, her granddaughter Brucha Weisberger said on Thursday.
Kozak was the world`s oldest documented Jewish person and the world`s seventh-oldest person, said Robert Young, a senior database administrator at the Gerontology Research Group, an organisation of physicians, scientists and engineers who validate supercentenarians, people 110 or older.
The world`s oldest person, Misao Okawa, of Japan, is 115, the group said.
Kozak was born in New York City on August 14, 1899. Her family had moved from Russia to escape anti-Semitic attacks.
She spent much of her adult life in Miami, where she ran a boarding house for many years, Weisberger said.
"She always said a good conscience was the secret to a long life," she added.
Though Kozak had no formal religious education, she was religious, keeping kosher and observing the Sabbath. When she was 110, she started covering her hair, as many traditionally orthodox Jewish women do.
Kozak was married twice but had been a widow since 1957. She had five children, 10 grandchildren, 28 great-grandchildren and one great-great-grandson.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered