World`s oldest Jewish person dies in US at 113
New York: The world`s oldest Jewish person, Evelyn Kozak, whose family fled Russia to escape anti-Semitism, has died at age 113.
Kozak died on Tuesday after suffering a heart attack the day before, her granddaughter Brucha Weisberger said on Thursday.
Kozak was the world`s oldest documented Jewish person and the world`s seventh-oldest person, said Robert Young, a senior database administrator at the Gerontology Research Group, an organisation of physicians, scientists and engineers who validate supercentenarians, people 110 or older.
The world`s oldest person, Misao Okawa, of Japan, is 115, the group said.
Kozak was born in New York City on August 14, 1899. Her family had moved from Russia to escape anti-Semitic attacks.
She spent much of her adult life in Miami, where she ran a boarding house for many years, Weisberger said.
"She always said a good conscience was the secret to a long life," she added.
Though Kozak had no formal religious education, she was religious, keeping kosher and observing the Sabbath. When she was 110, she started covering her hair, as many traditionally orthodox Jewish women do.
Kozak was married twice but had been a widow since 1957. She had five children, 10 grandchildren, 28 great-grandchildren and one great-great-grandson.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Details out: What Rahul Gandhi did during his two-month-long sabbatical