Yahoo fires Washington chief over Romney joke
London: Embattled Internet firm Yahoo has reportedly fired its Washington bureau chief after he made a joke about US Presidential contender Mitt Romney and his wife Ann being “happy to have a party when black people drown”.
David Chalian’s comments were caught on a microphone while he was discussing Hurricane Isaac, which hit Louisiana with the Republican convention under way.
In a video posted on YouTube, the commentators can be heard discussing how Isaac was bearing down on the US Gulf Coast.
According to the BBC, as footage is broadcast of Romney and his wife Ann, one voice can be heard saying, ‘they`re not concerned at all`.
Laughter is heard in the background as Chalian says, ‘They are happy to have a party with black people drowning’.
According to the report, Chalian later apologised on his Facebook page for ‘making an inappropriate and thoughtless joke’.
A Yahoo News spokeswoman said that he has been ‘terminated effective immediately’.
“We have already reached out to the Romney campaign, and we apologise to Mitt Romney, his staff, their supporters and anyone who was offended,” the spokeswoman added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered