Yemeni troops kill 6 al Qaeda militants in south
Sana’a: Yemen`s Defence Ministry says government troops have killed six al Qaeda fighters in a southern town and arrested the militants` leader during the fighting.
The ministry`s online newspaper "September 26" reported on Tuesday that the clashes took place in the town of Moudia in Abyan province, where militants recently seized large areas and entire towns.
The report says four other militants were wounded during Monday`s fighting. It identified the arrested leader as Abdel-Ilah al-Zahiri.
Security has collapsed across much of Yemen during its nine-month anti-regime uprising, allowing militants to take advantage of the turmoil to expand their reach.
Critics accuse Yemen`s leader of 33 years, Ali Abdullah Saleh, of turning a blind eye to the militants` growing strength.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Japan protests to Russia over man detained on disputed island
- I gossiped about Hollywood with Nathan Jones: Jacqueline Fernandez
- Tribal community members in Goa narrate their woes to Arvind Kejriwal
- Philippines and communist rebels start peace talks after truce
- Seoul, Washington kick off joint annual war game