Yemeni troops kill 6 al Qaeda militants in south
Sana’a: Yemen`s Defence Ministry says government troops have killed six al Qaeda fighters in a southern town and arrested the militants` leader during the fighting.
The ministry`s online newspaper "September 26" reported on Tuesday that the clashes took place in the town of Moudia in Abyan province, where militants recently seized large areas and entire towns.
The report says four other militants were wounded during Monday`s fighting. It identified the arrested leader as Abdel-Ilah al-Zahiri.
Security has collapsed across much of Yemen during its nine-month anti-regime uprising, allowing militants to take advantage of the turmoil to expand their reach.
Critics accuse Yemen`s leader of 33 years, Ali Abdullah Saleh, of turning a blind eye to the militants` growing strength.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach