Yemeni troops kill 6 al Qaeda militants in south
Sana’a: Yemen`s Defence Ministry says government troops have killed six al Qaeda fighters in a southern town and arrested the militants` leader during the fighting.
The ministry`s online newspaper "September 26" reported on Tuesday that the clashes took place in the town of Moudia in Abyan province, where militants recently seized large areas and entire towns.
The report says four other militants were wounded during Monday`s fighting. It identified the arrested leader as Abdel-Ilah al-Zahiri.
Security has collapsed across much of Yemen during its nine-month anti-regime uprising, allowing militants to take advantage of the turmoil to expand their reach.
Critics accuse Yemen`s leader of 33 years, Ali Abdullah Saleh, of turning a blind eye to the militants` growing strength.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you