One killed as incessant rains lash Hyderabad
Hyderabad: One person was killed and three injured in a house collapse as incessant rains lashing the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad inundated several low-lying areas and disrupted life, officials said on Friday.
A woman was killed and three people got injured when a house collapsed in Mangalhat area in Hyderabad early Friday, a government official said.
The rains, continuing since Wednesday night, flooded the streets, caused traffic jams and disrupted electricity supply in some parts of Hyderabad.
The city received intermittent downpour throughout Thursday, and the showers were heavy on Friday. Those returning home had a harrowing time as several roads were inundated leading to a traffic gridlock. The downpour continued throughout Thursday night.
According to the Met department, the city received 10 cm rainfall from 8 am Thursday to 8 am Friday.
As a precautionary measure, several schools have declared a holiday on Friday.
Low-lying localities in Bahadurpura, Kishan Bagh, Kalapathar, Uppuguda, Ganga Nagar and other areas in the old parts of Hyderabad were inundated. Water entered into houses in some areas. Several vehicles were caught in swirling waters due to an overflowing drain in Bahadurpura.
Reports of water-logging were also received from Rajendernagar, Upparpally, Attapur, Hyderguda, Tarnaka and others areas of the city.
Authorities went on alert as the Met department has forecast heavy to very heavy rainfall in the city and neighbouring Ranga Reddy district over the next two days.
Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) has also sounded an alert. Its emergency teams were pressed into service to pump out water from low-lying areas. The emergency cell of the GHMC was flooded with complaints of water-stagnation.
A control room has been set up in Hyderabad collectorate to help people. Those in need of help from officials may contact 040-2320281.
Several areas plunged into darkness Thursday night as power supply was disrupted. The electricity supply was disrupted in Humayun Nagar, Addagutta, Jyothi Nagar, Banjara Hills, Maredpally, R P Road and other areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!