One killed as incessant rains lash Hyderabad
Hyderabad: One person was killed and three injured in a house collapse as incessant rains lashing the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad inundated several low-lying areas and disrupted life, officials said on Friday.
A woman was killed and three people got injured when a house collapsed in Mangalhat area in Hyderabad early Friday, a government official said.
The rains, continuing since Wednesday night, flooded the streets, caused traffic jams and disrupted electricity supply in some parts of Hyderabad.
The city received intermittent downpour throughout Thursday, and the showers were heavy on Friday. Those returning home had a harrowing time as several roads were inundated leading to a traffic gridlock. The downpour continued throughout Thursday night.
According to the Met department, the city received 10 cm rainfall from 8 am Thursday to 8 am Friday.
As a precautionary measure, several schools have declared a holiday on Friday.
Low-lying localities in Bahadurpura, Kishan Bagh, Kalapathar, Uppuguda, Ganga Nagar and other areas in the old parts of Hyderabad were inundated. Water entered into houses in some areas. Several vehicles were caught in swirling waters due to an overflowing drain in Bahadurpura.
Reports of water-logging were also received from Rajendernagar, Upparpally, Attapur, Hyderguda, Tarnaka and others areas of the city.
Authorities went on alert as the Met department has forecast heavy to very heavy rainfall in the city and neighbouring Ranga Reddy district over the next two days.
Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) has also sounded an alert. Its emergency teams were pressed into service to pump out water from low-lying areas. The emergency cell of the GHMC was flooded with complaints of water-stagnation.
A control room has been set up in Hyderabad collectorate to help people. Those in need of help from officials may contact 040-2320281.
Several areas plunged into darkness Thursday night as power supply was disrupted. The electricity supply was disrupted in Humayun Nagar, Addagutta, Jyothi Nagar, Banjara Hills, Maredpally, R P Road and other areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you