Assam violence: Death toll reaches 10
Guwahati: Four persons were killed in Kokrajhar amidst indefinite curfew taking the toll in the current wave of violence between Bodos and Muslims in the lower Assam district to 10.
The four were killed at Jiaguri by armed assailants who fired randomly on a group of persons last night following which patrolling was intensified and vigorous search operations launched to seize illegal arms, official sources said here.
Kokrajhar Deputy Commissioner Jayant Narlikar said the situation was under control and the army was conducting flag marches and area domination to prevent further outbreak of violence.
Additional security forces would soon arrive, he said adding the decision on relaxing the three-day old curfew in Kokrajhar district would be taken later this evening.
IGP(BTAD) GP Singh said an executive member of Bodoland Territorial Council (BTC) Monokumar Brahma alias Jalja was arrested from his residence for possessing illegal arms.
Two AK-47 rifles, magazines of AK-47 rifles and 60 rounds of assorted ammunition have been seized from Brahma`s bedroom and he was being being interrogated, he said adding investigations were on to ascertain whether he was involved in yesterday`s killings.
The Centre had asked Assam government yesterday to immediately seize illegal arms and arrest those involved in clashes between Bodos and Muslims by deploying enough forces, including Army, in the strife-torn areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!