Assam violence: Death toll reaches 10
Guwahati: Four persons were killed in Kokrajhar amidst indefinite curfew taking the toll in the current wave of violence between Bodos and Muslims in the lower Assam district to 10.
The four were killed at Jiaguri by armed assailants who fired randomly on a group of persons last night following which patrolling was intensified and vigorous search operations launched to seize illegal arms, official sources said here.
Kokrajhar Deputy Commissioner Jayant Narlikar said the situation was under control and the army was conducting flag marches and area domination to prevent further outbreak of violence.
Additional security forces would soon arrive, he said adding the decision on relaxing the three-day old curfew in Kokrajhar district would be taken later this evening.
IGP(BTAD) GP Singh said an executive member of Bodoland Territorial Council (BTC) Monokumar Brahma alias Jalja was arrested from his residence for possessing illegal arms.
Two AK-47 rifles, magazines of AK-47 rifles and 60 rounds of assorted ammunition have been seized from Brahma`s bedroom and he was being being interrogated, he said adding investigations were on to ascertain whether he was involved in yesterday`s killings.
The Centre had asked Assam government yesterday to immediately seize illegal arms and arrest those involved in clashes between Bodos and Muslims by deploying enough forces, including Army, in the strife-torn areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Prayers being held for Yakub Memon at Bada Kabristan before his burial
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened