Assam violence: Death toll reaches 10
Guwahati: Four persons were killed in Kokrajhar amidst indefinite curfew taking the toll in the current wave of violence between Bodos and Muslims in the lower Assam district to 10.
The four were killed at Jiaguri by armed assailants who fired randomly on a group of persons last night following which patrolling was intensified and vigorous search operations launched to seize illegal arms, official sources said here.
Kokrajhar Deputy Commissioner Jayant Narlikar said the situation was under control and the army was conducting flag marches and area domination to prevent further outbreak of violence.
Additional security forces would soon arrive, he said adding the decision on relaxing the three-day old curfew in Kokrajhar district would be taken later this evening.
IGP(BTAD) GP Singh said an executive member of Bodoland Territorial Council (BTC) Monokumar Brahma alias Jalja was arrested from his residence for possessing illegal arms.
Two AK-47 rifles, magazines of AK-47 rifles and 60 rounds of assorted ammunition have been seized from Brahma`s bedroom and he was being being interrogated, he said adding investigations were on to ascertain whether he was involved in yesterday`s killings.
The Centre had asked Assam government yesterday to immediately seize illegal arms and arrest those involved in clashes between Bodos and Muslims by deploying enough forces, including Army, in the strife-torn areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar
- British politics in turmoil as Brexit talks loom
- US Presidential Elections: Hillary Clinton takes lead over Donald Trump, new polls show