Assam violence: Death toll reaches 10
Guwahati: Four persons were killed in Kokrajhar amidst indefinite curfew taking the toll in the current wave of violence between Bodos and Muslims in the lower Assam district to 10.
The four were killed at Jiaguri by armed assailants who fired randomly on a group of persons last night following which patrolling was intensified and vigorous search operations launched to seize illegal arms, official sources said here.
Kokrajhar Deputy Commissioner Jayant Narlikar said the situation was under control and the army was conducting flag marches and area domination to prevent further outbreak of violence.
Additional security forces would soon arrive, he said adding the decision on relaxing the three-day old curfew in Kokrajhar district would be taken later this evening.
IGP(BTAD) GP Singh said an executive member of Bodoland Territorial Council (BTC) Monokumar Brahma alias Jalja was arrested from his residence for possessing illegal arms.
Two AK-47 rifles, magazines of AK-47 rifles and 60 rounds of assorted ammunition have been seized from Brahma`s bedroom and he was being being interrogated, he said adding investigations were on to ascertain whether he was involved in yesterday`s killings.
The Centre had asked Assam government yesterday to immediately seize illegal arms and arrest those involved in clashes between Bodos and Muslims by deploying enough forces, including Army, in the strife-torn areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly