Anna Hazare announces `Jantantra Morcha`
Patna: Activist Anna Hazare Wednesday announced that he would form a `Jantantra Morcha` to fight for and assert people`s rights.
"We have decided to form a country-wide organisation, Jantantra Morcha," Hazare said at a rally at the Gandhi Maidan here after delivering an oath to hundreds of people.
Hazare, who arrived here Tuesday, said the Morcha would work for people`s causes, including eradicating corruption.
"We will not participate in elections. We will only work to awaken people and organise them to fight for their rights and for justice," he said.
He said the morcha would fight, among other things, for some key changes: For `jan lokpal`, the right to reject a poll candidate, the right to recall a candidate who fails those who have elected him, strengthening the Right to Information Act, electoral reform and decentralisation of power.
"If Jan Lokpal, as we proposed, came into existence, at least 15 ministers of the central government would be sent to jail for corruption," Hazare said.
Hazare vowed to build a new India free from corruption, with the support of people, particularly youths, who constitute a majority of the population.
He reiterated that he would visit people across the country in coming months to awaken the conscience of people.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar Wednesday expressed his support for Hazare and said he favoured a `jan andolan` (people`s movement) to strengthen democracy in India.
"Anna Hazare is doing good work," the chief minister told media persons here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla