Anna Hazare announces `Jantantra Morcha`
Patna: Activist Anna Hazare Wednesday announced that he would form a `Jantantra Morcha` to fight for and assert people`s rights.
"We have decided to form a country-wide organisation, Jantantra Morcha," Hazare said at a rally at the Gandhi Maidan here after delivering an oath to hundreds of people.
Hazare, who arrived here Tuesday, said the Morcha would work for people`s causes, including eradicating corruption.
"We will not participate in elections. We will only work to awaken people and organise them to fight for their rights and for justice," he said.
He said the morcha would fight, among other things, for some key changes: For `jan lokpal`, the right to reject a poll candidate, the right to recall a candidate who fails those who have elected him, strengthening the Right to Information Act, electoral reform and decentralisation of power.
"If Jan Lokpal, as we proposed, came into existence, at least 15 ministers of the central government would be sent to jail for corruption," Hazare said.
Hazare vowed to build a new India free from corruption, with the support of people, particularly youths, who constitute a majority of the population.
He reiterated that he would visit people across the country in coming months to awaken the conscience of people.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar Wednesday expressed his support for Hazare and said he favoured a `jan andolan` (people`s movement) to strengthen democracy in India.
"Anna Hazare is doing good work," the chief minister told media persons here.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan