Rebel RJD leader to contest poll against Lalu`s daughter
Patna: Senior rebel RJD leader Ram Kirpal Yadav, who resigned from a party post after being denied ticket for the Lok Sabha polls, Monday declared that he would contest from Patliputra constituency in Patna against Lalu Prasad`s daughter.
"I will contest from Patliputra seat. This was decided in a meeting with my supporters here," Yadav told media persons here.
Yadav revolted after Lalu Prasad decided to field his elder daughter Misa Bharti from Patliputra seat as the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) nominee.
He has not made it clear whether he will contest as an independent or as a nominee of another party.
Bihar`s ruling Janata Dal (United) and opposition Bharatiya Janata Party have both offered Yadav candidature on their respective behalf to contest the polls.
"Both JD-U and BJP leaders have offered Yadav the party ticket to contest against Lalu`s daughter in the polls," said a RJD leader close to Yadav.
Senior BJP leader and former deputy chief minister Sushil Kumar Modi said his party`s leaders have been in touch with Yadav.
Senior JD-U leader RCP Singh too said that Yadav is welcome in his party.
"We welcome him in the party and some party leaders are in touch with him," said Singh, who is known as a close aide of Nitish Kumar.
Yadav claimed Saturday in Delhi that he was in the RJD "as of now" but leaders close to him said he might resign from the primary membership of the party soon.
"Ram Kirpal Singh has made up his mind to resign from the party and his options are open," another RJD leader said.
A furious Yadav, a Rajya Sabha MP, had flown to New Delhi three days ago after Lalu nominated Misa Bharti as the candidate from Patliputra, ignoring the claims of Yadav who has been close to Lalu Prasad for over two decades.
Yadav accused the party -- which he said was born to uphold the principles of social justice -- of now being interested in "family justice".
Misa Bharti Sunday started her campaigning in the contituency.
Lalu Prasad Sunday reiterated that his decision on candidates for polls was final and he would not go back on his decision.
He has announced the names of candidates for 25 of the 27 constituencies his party will contest in alliance with the Congress in Bihar.
According to the list, besides his daughter Misa Bharti who is to contest from Patliputra in Patna, his wife Rabri Devi has been fielded from Saran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days