Chhattisgarh: Maoists to release Sukma collector
Raipur: A Chhattisgarh government chopper on Thursday morning left Raipur for Tarmetla, where Maoist guerrillas are expected to release kidnapped Sukma district collector Alex Paul Menon, state government sources said.
The chopper is carrying mediators G Hargopal and BD Sharma, who are scheduled to receive Menon in Tarmetla, around 500 km from Raipur.
Menon is expected to be released in the afternoon.
In a message to media organisations on Wednesday, the rebels said Menon, in their captivity since April 21, would be handed over to Hargopal and Sharma in the presence of a gathering at Tarmetla.
Tarmetla in Sukma is where the Maoists had killed 76 paramilitary personnel in April 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says