Chhattisgarh: Maoists to release Sukma collector
Raipur: A Chhattisgarh government chopper on Thursday morning left Raipur for Tarmetla, where Maoist guerrillas are expected to release kidnapped Sukma district collector Alex Paul Menon, state government sources said.
The chopper is carrying mediators G Hargopal and BD Sharma, who are scheduled to receive Menon in Tarmetla, around 500 km from Raipur.
Menon is expected to be released in the afternoon.
In a message to media organisations on Wednesday, the rebels said Menon, in their captivity since April 21, would be handed over to Hargopal and Sharma in the presence of a gathering at Tarmetla.
Tarmetla in Sukma is where the Maoists had killed 76 paramilitary personnel in April 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Centuries-old fair symbolising maize blossom begins in Himachal
- 2016 Olympics: Russia escape blanket ban, but IOC bars whistle-blower from Rio Games
- Pakistan Daily calls Nawaz Sharif's statement on Kashmir 'wishful thinking and unrealistic'
- Hungarian Grand Prix: Record fifth win sends Lewis Hamilton top
- Olympian predicts record medal haul from Indian shooters at 2016 Rio Games