Congress seeks removal of nodal officer assisting NIA probe
Raipur: Congress has demanded immediate removal of the nodal officer appointed by Chhattisgarh government to assist National Investigation Agency (NIA) probing the Darbha valley Maoist attack in which senior Congress leaders were killed on May 25.
Launching an attack on Chhattisgarh government, union minister and acting president of the state Congress Charan Das Mahant said today that "the nodal officer is not only disturbing the NIA team, but also trying to influence the probe and hide facts. The officer should be immediately removed from the charge".
He accused the Chhattisgarh government of trying to derail the probe to prevent the truth about the alleged political conspiracy behind the Maoist attack on the Congress leaders` convoy from coming out in the open.
Mahant alleged the same officer, who denied security cover to the Congress `parivartan yatra`, avoided giving information about movement of Maoist insurgents in Jiram Valley and also ensured that security was not with the Congress convoy at Darbha on May 25, has been appointed as the nodal officer to help NIA probe.
"The same official is using his discretionary rights to influence the probe. The same officer is also facing charges of being responsible for the death of a senior police official in a Maoist attack at Madanwada in Rajnandgaon district, into which a probe is still pending," he said.
Twenty nine Congressmen, including PCC president Nandkumar Patel, Mahendra Karma, Uday Mudliyar, former union minister V C Shukla, were killed and 35 people injured when Maoists had ambushed their convoy in Jiram valley of Darbha region in Bastar on May 25.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez