Former Salwa Judum leader, cop killed in Maoist attack
Raipur: A former Salwa Judum leader and a police jawan were killed in a Maoist attack in Bijapur district in Chhattisgarh this evening, police said.
Chhinnaram Gota, a former Janpad member and a police jawan Mangal Udsam, who was guarding him, were killed when Maoists opened indiscriminate firing, Inspector General (IG) Bastar Range Himanshu Gupta told PTI over phone.
The incident took place when Chinnaram, accompanied by two constables, had gone to his field that falls under Farsegarh police station area, around 350 km away from the state capital.
The other police jawan Budhram Toke, who was seriously injured in the attack, was later taken to the district hospital.
According to police, Chinnaram was a prominent leader during the erstwhile Salwa Judum movement and was on the hit-list of the ultras for a long time.
He was earlier attacked at least three times by the Maoists, following which, he was provided police protection, sources added.
Salwa Judum, an anti-Maoist civil militia, was disarmed and disbanded in the state following the Supreme Court order declaring as illegal and unconstitutional the deployment of tribal youths as Special Police Officers in the fight against the Maoist insurgency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PHOTO: After KKR's loss vs SRH, Shah Rukh Khan Tweets heart-wrenching image of cheerleaders crying
- Kardashians offered USD 100 million movie deal?
- Supreme Court to hear Italian government's plea on marine today
- Aww! Nargis Fakhri is missing THESE guys and gals
- Online application process for NEET II from today. Check www.aipmt.nic.in