Naxals fire at IAF chopper carrying top CRPF officials
New Delhi: Top CRPF officials had a narrow escape when suspected Naxals fired at an IAF chopper carrying them while it was landing at Chintagufa in Sukma district in Bastar region of Chhattisgarh, official sources said on Monday.
Sources in the Union Home Ministry said the incident took place on Saturday when the helicopter with CRPF Inspector General H S Sidhu on board was landing.
Sidhu had gone to oversee an ongoing operation against Naxals in the region.
The suspected Maoists fired at the chopper from a nearby hillock, the sources said, adding that two bullets hit the rotor.
The fire was returned immediately and there was no causality.
The sources said all standard operating procedures had been followed before landing of the helicopter in the area.
They said there was no damage to the aircraft which took off after some time carrying CRPF personnel who were to be deployed deep inside Bastar jungle for anti-Maoist operations.
The IAF helicopter has been leased to para-military forces for anti-Naxal operation.
Naxals had abducted Sukma Collector Alex Paul Menon from the region after killing two of his bodyguards two years ago. The place is located 300 km from state capital Raipur.
There have been at least 10 instances of Naxals making attempts to fire at helicopters in Sukma, Dantewada and Jagdalpur districts of Chhattisgarh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video