Naxals fire at IAF chopper carrying top CRPF officials
New Delhi: Top CRPF officials had a narrow escape when suspected Naxals fired at an IAF chopper carrying them while it was landing at Chintagufa in Sukma district in Bastar region of Chhattisgarh, official sources said on Monday.
Sources in the Union Home Ministry said the incident took place on Saturday when the helicopter with CRPF Inspector General H S Sidhu on board was landing.
Sidhu had gone to oversee an ongoing operation against Naxals in the region.
The suspected Maoists fired at the chopper from a nearby hillock, the sources said, adding that two bullets hit the rotor.
The fire was returned immediately and there was no causality.
The sources said all standard operating procedures had been followed before landing of the helicopter in the area.
They said there was no damage to the aircraft which took off after some time carrying CRPF personnel who were to be deployed deep inside Bastar jungle for anti-Maoist operations.
The IAF helicopter has been leased to para-military forces for anti-Naxal operation.
Naxals had abducted Sukma Collector Alex Paul Menon from the region after killing two of his bodyguards two years ago. The place is located 300 km from state capital Raipur.
There have been at least 10 instances of Naxals making attempts to fire at helicopters in Sukma, Dantewada and Jagdalpur districts of Chhattisgarh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe