2 men jailed for 10 yrs for possessing cannabis
New Delhi: Two men, arrested three years ago with over 58 kg of `ganja` (cannabis) in their possession, have been sentenced to ten years in jail by a Delhi court.
While sentencing Prakash Singh and Moti Khan, Additional Sessions Judge M K Nagpal also imposed a fine of Rs one lakh on each of them for the offences under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act (NDPS).
"Keeping in view the age, family background and all other attending circumstances, both the convicts are being awarded the minimum sentence of rigorous imprisonment for a period of 10 years each and fine of Rs one lakh each," said the court.
The duo were arrested from Netaji Nagar in South Delhi on September 14, 2009 after they were found carrying the cannabis in three bags on a motorbike.
While the prosecution pleaded for 20 years of jail term for them, saying they possessed the contraband in commercial quantity, the defence counsel pleaded with the court to show leniency to them as they were the sole bread winners of their families.
The defence counsel sought leniency saying 35-year-old Prakash Singh has a wife and two children, while 54-year-old Moti Khan has a wife and eight minor children, but the court sentenced the duo to ten years in jail each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Procedural delay and not failure, says MEA on India's NSG membership issue
- Keith Urban celebrates 10th anniversary with Nicole Kidman
- An award must go to Fawad Khan for his hilarious expression while hugging Deepika Padukone!
- Greg Chappell strikes! Former coach claims team took short-cuts, key players selfish
- Make-up earns men's admiration, women's jealousy