Assembly polls: Congress to announce candidates for Delhi polls after Diwali
New Delhi: The Congress will announce its candidates for the Delhi assembly election, to be held on December 4, only after Diwali.
The decision was taken in a meeting of the party`s Central Election Committee chaired by Congress President Sonia Gandhi with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh by her side.
The names of odd 30 candidates were finalised by the Screening Committee for Delhi earlier.
In the CEC meeting today, the party leadership examined the criteria and the process on which the screening committee finalised the tickets and also the basis on which the applications of some contenders were rejected, sources in the party said.
The meeting was also attended by Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, PCC chief JP Agrawal and AICC secretary general in-charge for Delhi Shakeel Ahmed.
The meeting also discussed the names of candidates for Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan.
Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi also held a review meeting of Maharashtra separately. The three-monthly review meeting was attended by Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, PCC chief Manikrao Thakree, Mumbai Regional Congress Committee chief Janardan Chandulkar.
AICC Secretary in-charge for the state Mohan Prakash was also present in the meeting in which Rahul reviewed the working the of state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing