DoT changes women helpline number from ‘167’ to `181`
New Delhi: Within hours of announcing `167` as women helpline number, the Telecom Ministry on Monday changed it to `181` saying the new three-digit number was easier to remember.
Amidst nationwide uproar over brutal gang-rape of a 23-year old paramedic student, the Telecom Ministry for the first time in two years released a three-digit number, 167, for women helpline.
However, "upon request for a number that would be easier to recollect", the number has been changed to `181`, a statement from the Department of Telecom said.
Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had requested Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal to allot a three-digit phone number for helping women in distress.
"Though DoT has limited resource in respect of three-digit numbers, yet within two hours of the request, a three-digit number has been allotted for Chief Minister`s helpline," the statement said.
This is the first three-digit number to have been allotted in two years.
Protests across the country are being seen demanding speedy justice to the accused in the Delhi gang-rape case, where a 23-year-old para-medical student from Dehradun was alleged raped on Sunday night in a moving bus here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi