China adds 60 million hectares of forest
Beijing: China, in moves to fight climate change, has increased the total forest area to 195 million hectares from 134 million hectares in 1992 -- a net gain of 60 million hectares or 600,000 sq km within a period of 20 years.
China currently has 61.68 million hectares of man-made forests, the most in the world.
The country aims to expand its total forest area by 40 million hectares from 2005 to 2020, and will convert 1.07 million hectares of farmland into forests during its 12th Five-year Plan period (2011-2015), Xinhua news agency reported.
China has strengthened its fiscal support for increasing forest area, launched a number of ecological projects and implemented a nationwide compulsory tree-planting programme to expand forests since the inking of a treaty at the UN Conference on Environment and Development in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in 1992, said Yin Hong, vice minister of the State Forestry Administration.
The desertification area is dropping by 1,717 square km annually, compared to an annual expansion of 3,436 square km at the end of the 1990s.
The government will continue to increase investment in the forest sector, and focus its energy on forest cultivation, wetland, wildlife and habitat protection and land desertification control.
Till date, China has invested 325 billion yuan (around $52 billion) in converting cropland to forests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks