Dinosaur-era flying reptiles were extremely social
London: The fossilized remains of Pterosaurs or flying reptiles - who were wiped out nearly 120 million years ago from earth - have provided a slice of prehistoric life - revealing that these dinosaur-era creatures were extremely social.
Paleontologists found Pterosaur eggs, thousands of fossilized Pterosaur bones and nearly fully intact Pterosaur skulls of both males and females at Turpan-Hami Basin, south of the Tian Shan Mountains in Xinjiang, northwestern China.
"Based on the discoveries, we know that this Pterosaur lived together with other Pterosaurs and laid its eggs in the bank of the ancient lake, similar (behaviour) to that of some modern birds such as flamingos," explained Xiaolin Wang, a vertebrate paleontologist from Chinese Academy of Sciences.
The remains also represent a new Pterosaur genus and species - the formidable-looking Hamipterus Tianshanensis.
Sediments at the site also suggest that a huge colony of these large flying reptiles perished during a violent storm.
Before tragedy struck them, young and old alike were enjoying life next to what was then a peaceful and beautiful lake.
Adults lived around youngsters in crowded surroundings that must have been buzzing with social activity.
In the prehistoric era, the Pterosaurs must have been attracted to the area due to its abundant food opportunities and the moist environment, Discovery News reported.
The findings appeared in the latest issue of Current Biology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 50 seats, BJP in 32; big prestige battle for both parties
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena ahead in Mumbai and Thane, BJP gains lead in Pune, Nagpur, Solapur; NCP wins 4 seats in Ulhasnagar