German insects can foresee earthquake?
London: A new study has suggested ants are able to sense earthquakes before the Earth even lightly shudders.
Germany researchers discovered the red wood ants prefer to build their colonies along active faults, fractures where the Earth ruptures, Daily Mail reported.
The ants` behaviour significantly changed before an earthquake above magnitude 2.0 hit the area. The behaviour did not nomalise until a day after the earthquake, said Gabriele Berberich, of the University of Duisburg-Essen, in Germany.
Berberich presented her research at the European Geosciences Union annual meeting in Vienna, LiveScience reported. Her team counted 15,000 ant mounds lining the active faults. She tracked the ants round the clock for three years between 2009 and 2012.
before retreating into their mound at night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'