German insects can foresee earthquake?
London: A new study has suggested ants are able to sense earthquakes before the Earth even lightly shudders.
Germany researchers discovered the red wood ants prefer to build their colonies along active faults, fractures where the Earth ruptures, Daily Mail reported.
The ants` behaviour significantly changed before an earthquake above magnitude 2.0 hit the area. The behaviour did not nomalise until a day after the earthquake, said Gabriele Berberich, of the University of Duisburg-Essen, in Germany.
Berberich presented her research at the European Geosciences Union annual meeting in Vienna, LiveScience reported. Her team counted 15,000 ant mounds lining the active faults. She tracked the ants round the clock for three years between 2009 and 2012.
before retreating into their mound at night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days