Role of bacteria in degrading Gulf oil spill revealed
Washington: Since last year`s Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, microbiologists have been working to understand how underwater currents may have primed marine microorganisms to degrade the oil.
David Valentine, an earth science professor at the University of California, Santa Barbara, has been studying microbial communities and the fate of chemicals 4000 feet below the surface from the Deepwater Horizon oil spill since June of 2010.
The findings of his research may prove to be crucial in addressing the environmental consequences of the disaster.
Valentine and his colleagues recently developed a computer simulation by coupling the Naval Research Laboratory`s physical oceanographic model with their own discoveries and knowledge of the microbes responsible for breaking down the chemicals.
"We took the physical model of the deep Gulf of Mexico, added the hydrocarbons and bacteria, set reasonable guidelines for metabolism, and let them eat starting at day 1 of the spill," said Valentine.
To confirm that the model was providing them with an accurate picture of what had happened they compared the model to spot measurements they and others had previously made in the Gulf.
The most interesting observation they found using the model was dynamic auto-inoculation. Many parcels of water circulated in and out of the source area. Each iteration allowed the bacterial populations to increase in number and degrade the chemicals more rapidly.
"The more recirculation you have, the more quickly the hydrocarbons will be consumed," said Valentine.
The study was presented at the 111th General Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway