Scientists warn big business ruining Great Barrier Reef dramatically
Sydney: Big business is ruining the Great Barrier Reef, scientists have warned ahead of UNSECO World Heritage meeting.
The scientists said that more protection measures must be introduced to halt the reef`s dramatic decline.
According to the Courier Mail, more than 150 scientists have joined forces to warn of the industrialisation of the reef ahead of the meeting in 12 days.
Led by University of Queensland `s Professor Hugh Possingham, the scientists said science is being ignored as big business develops reef waters.
In a joint statement, they said the reef is in crisis and more development will create further harm if better protection measures are not adopted.
The scientists, representing many of the most distinguished names in marine and coastal sciences, called on the Queensland and Federal governments to immediately halt port building outside existing industrial port areas.
They added that the governments should force business to minimise their impact by sharing port facilities and improve shipping management through the reef, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Shocking! In Madhya Pradesh, child dies after given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic
- Red hot! This TV actress looks unapologetically sexy in bikini – See pics
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster
- Tamil Nadu: Two children electrocuted, 40 injured as live wire falls on school bus, probe ordered