Scientists warn big business ruining Great Barrier Reef dramatically
Sydney: Big business is ruining the Great Barrier Reef, scientists have warned ahead of UNSECO World Heritage meeting.
The scientists said that more protection measures must be introduced to halt the reef`s dramatic decline.
According to the Courier Mail, more than 150 scientists have joined forces to warn of the industrialisation of the reef ahead of the meeting in 12 days.
Led by University of Queensland `s Professor Hugh Possingham, the scientists said science is being ignored as big business develops reef waters.
In a joint statement, they said the reef is in crisis and more development will create further harm if better protection measures are not adopted.
The scientists, representing many of the most distinguished names in marine and coastal sciences, called on the Queensland and Federal governments to immediately halt port building outside existing industrial port areas.
They added that the governments should force business to minimise their impact by sharing port facilities and improve shipping management through the reef, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened