Scientists warn big business ruining Great Barrier Reef dramatically
Sydney: Big business is ruining the Great Barrier Reef, scientists have warned ahead of UNSECO World Heritage meeting.
The scientists said that more protection measures must be introduced to halt the reef`s dramatic decline.
According to the Courier Mail, more than 150 scientists have joined forces to warn of the industrialisation of the reef ahead of the meeting in 12 days.
Led by University of Queensland `s Professor Hugh Possingham, the scientists said science is being ignored as big business develops reef waters.
In a joint statement, they said the reef is in crisis and more development will create further harm if better protection measures are not adopted.
The scientists, representing many of the most distinguished names in marine and coastal sciences, called on the Queensland and Federal governments to immediately halt port building outside existing industrial port areas.
They added that the governments should force business to minimise their impact by sharing port facilities and improve shipping management through the reef, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- Superstar Shah Rukh Khan's CPL franchise is now Trinbago Knight Riders
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf