Sharks` remarkable skin boosts swimming
Washington: Swimming comes effortlessly to sharks, thanks to their streamlined shapes and coating of razor sharp tooth-like scales, called denticles. Experiments with the intact shark skins accelerated swimming by nearly 13 percent as compared to "ordinary" skin, says a study.
"All of the shark skin studies were done on flat shark skin mimics that were held straight and immovable," said George Lauder from Harvard University.
He explains that the fish have long inspired human engineers, but more recently attention has focused on how the fish`s remarkable skin boosts swimming, The Journal of Experimental Biology reported.
Lauder and master`s student Johannes Oeffner discovered that shark skin actually generates thrust to give the fish an additional boost, according to a university statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof