Stalled on treaty, climate talks turn to money
Cancun: Facing another year without a global deal to curb climate change, the world`s
nations will spend the next two weeks debating how to mobilize money to cope with what`s coming - as temperatures climb, ice melts, seas rise and the climate that nurtured man shifts in unpredictable ways.
Beginning Monday, 15,000 government delegates, environmentalists, business leaders, journalists and others will gather in the meeting halls of this steamy Caribbean
resort for the annual conference of the 193-nation UN climate treaty.
The Republican takeover of the US House of Representatives and a recent historic shift in emissions - developing countries now produce more greenhouse gases than
the old industrial world - all but guarantee the standoff will drag on, at least for another year or two.
"The world is waiting for fruitful negotiations," Mexico`s environment secretary, Juan Rafael Elvira Quesada, told a news agency. "What we want to have is really some action, not just talking."
But what UN officials and others foresee here is "incremental progress," not an overarching deal, in two weeks of negotiation ending with three days of high-level bargaining among the world`s environment ministers.
Hoping to revive momentum in the talks, delegates look for decisions leading to better terms for developing nations to obtain patented "green" technology from advanced countries, and toward a system for compensating poorer nations for protecting their forests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Christian group claims that the world will be 'annihilated' today!