Manmohan Singh meets President Pranab, tenders resignation
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: A day after Congress` crushing defeat in the 2014 Lok Sabha Elections, Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh on Saturday met President and tendered his resignation to him with a request to dissolve the 15th Lok Sabha.
President Pranab Mukherjee has accpted his resignation to pave way for the formation of new government led by Narendra Modi, who led his party BJP to a thimping majority in the crucial polls.
As per the norm, the President has asked Dr Singh to continue as the caretaker PM till the new government takes charge. In a rare gesture, President Pranab also came out to see Dr Singh off at the gates of the Rashtrapati Bhawan.
Ahead of his meeting with the President, Dr Singh chaired the last meeting of the Union Cabinet, which recommended the dissolution of the 15th Lok Sabha.
Leader of the Lok Sabha and Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde moved the resolution for dissolution of the 15th Lok Sabha.
In the last Cabinet meeting, Dr Singh`s role as the Prime Minister was also lauded by all the members.
Ahead of the Union Cabinet meeting, Dr Singh made a farewell speech in which he said that he was proud of his government`s achievements in the past 10 years and extended his good wishes to the new government which will be sworn-in soon.
Addressing the nation in a televised speech, an emotional Prime Minister said, “My dear countrymen, today as I address you for the last time as PM, I accept you verdict with humility. Even after I leave the post of PM, the love and affection you have given me will stay with me.”
“In last 10 years, India saw many successes and achievements that we should be proud of. India`s stronger now than it was 10 years ago and it has been a pleasure serving this great nation as PM," Dr Singh said.
“I have done my best best to serve the nation and I wish the next government all the best and hope it achieves much more,” Dr Singh further said.
Dr Singh became the Prime Minister in 2004 and retained the post in 2009.
He would later host tea for the members of his Council of Ministers after which the President will host a dinner for all of them. Singh will soon vacate his official residence at 7, Race Course Road and move into a bungalow at 3, Motilal Nehru Road.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'