Chartered accountants to assess mining losses: Goa CM
Panaji: Chartered accountants have been roped in to assess the fiscal extent of Goa`s iron ore mining scam, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar said here on Wednesday.
"The assessment of production export vis-à-vis royalty collection is proposed to be allotted to a team of chartered accountants, so that any shortfall of revenue can be ascertained and recovered," Parrikar told the State Assembly.
He was responding to Congress party legislator Atanasio Monserrate during the Question Hour.
The chartered accountants would function under a special committee headed by a high court judge. They would "verify" the findings of the Justice MB Shah Commission, which exposed a Rs 35,000 crore illegal mining scam in the state.
Parrikar has already hinted that the state government-appointed committee may take about two years to complete the assessment.
Mining in Goa has been banned by the Supreme Court since October last year, bringing to a halt all related activity, including transportation of already mined ore.
The ban was imposed by the apex court on the basis of a petition filed the Goa Foundation, a green NGO, represented by senior lawyer and activist Prashant Bhushan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch