Fire at commercial building; four die of asphyxiation in Gujarat
Surat (Guj): Four persons were asphyxiated to death and three others injured when a fire broke out in a commercial building here on Wednesday, a fire official said.
The blaze erupted on the ground floor of the four-storey building on Amroli-Sayan Road where an embroidery factory was operating, divisional fire officer Raju Gamit told a news agency.
The garments kept in the factory caught fire and in no time the smoke engulfed the entire building, where the labourers used to stay on the top floor.
The cause of the fire is yet to be ascertained, Gamit said.
As many as 19 labourers were sleeping when the smoke spread to the building`s top floor where there was no ventilation, he said.
Four of the labourers died of asphyxiation as the fire choked the air with smoke, the official said.
Three other persons, who suffered injuries, were referred to a nearby hospital while 12 persons were rescued from the building.
Police and fire department officials have begun investigation into the cause of fire.
"No fire safety equipment was installed in the building, which is eight months old. There was no ventilation in the building. The fire was small but the smoke was dense, which engulfed the entire building within a few seconds, making it difficult for people to escape," Gamit said.
"Prima facie, there seems to be no sabotage. But, we are investigating from all angles. Two fire fighters were used in the operation and the fire was brought under control in 45 minutes," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India