Haryana man gets 10 years jail for raping university student
Chandigarh: A court in Harayana`s Sonipat town on Friday sentenced a man to 10 years rigorous imprisonment for the rape of a first-year law student of Haryana`s all-women university, Bhagat Phool Singh Women`s University.
The court order came just over a year after the victim alleged that she was abducted and gang-raped by four youths May 18 last year.
However, the court of Additional District and Sessions Judge Manisha Batra acquitted three of the accused youth, citing lack of evidence against them.
The victim, a hostel resident, in her complaint to police, had said that she was abducted from outside the gate of the university campus by Amit, who used to run a canteen on the campus, and three others and driven in a Scorpio SUV to nearby agricultural fields where she was gang-raped.
She was dumped by the accused near the university gate and threatened not to tell anyone about the incident.
The victim was admitted to hospital after the incident.
After angry students of the university protested and blocked the Sonipat-Gohana highway, police arrested Amit and three other accused - Jaipal, Bhupender and Vinod.
The university, the first all-women university in Haryana, is located at Khanpur Kalan village in Sonipat, 180 km from here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!