Haryana man gets 10 years jail for raping university student
Chandigarh: A court in Harayana`s Sonipat town on Friday sentenced a man to 10 years rigorous imprisonment for the rape of a first-year law student of Haryana`s all-women university, Bhagat Phool Singh Women`s University.
The court order came just over a year after the victim alleged that she was abducted and gang-raped by four youths May 18 last year.
However, the court of Additional District and Sessions Judge Manisha Batra acquitted three of the accused youth, citing lack of evidence against them.
The victim, a hostel resident, in her complaint to police, had said that she was abducted from outside the gate of the university campus by Amit, who used to run a canteen on the campus, and three others and driven in a Scorpio SUV to nearby agricultural fields where she was gang-raped.
She was dumped by the accused near the university gate and threatened not to tell anyone about the incident.
The victim was admitted to hospital after the incident.
After angry students of the university protested and blocked the Sonipat-Gohana highway, police arrested Amit and three other accused - Jaipal, Bhupender and Vinod.
The university, the first all-women university in Haryana, is located at Khanpur Kalan village in Sonipat, 180 km from here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- FIR filed against Vishal Dadlani, Tehseen Poonawalla over 'monkery' tweet on Jain religious leader
- Breast cancer breakthrough? 16-year-old Indian-origin boy claims cure for disease
- UN General Assembly President-elect calls on PM Narendra Modi
- Vijay Mallya deliberately concealing his assets, banks to SC
- Sushant Singh Rajput, Kriti Sanon went for a Thailand vacation? Here's the truth!