Haryana man gets 10 years jail for raping university student
Chandigarh: A court in Harayana`s Sonipat town on Friday sentenced a man to 10 years rigorous imprisonment for the rape of a first-year law student of Haryana`s all-women university, Bhagat Phool Singh Women`s University.
The court order came just over a year after the victim alleged that she was abducted and gang-raped by four youths May 18 last year.
However, the court of Additional District and Sessions Judge Manisha Batra acquitted three of the accused youth, citing lack of evidence against them.
The victim, a hostel resident, in her complaint to police, had said that she was abducted from outside the gate of the university campus by Amit, who used to run a canteen on the campus, and three others and driven in a Scorpio SUV to nearby agricultural fields where she was gang-raped.
She was dumped by the accused near the university gate and threatened not to tell anyone about the incident.
The victim was admitted to hospital after the incident.
After angry students of the university protested and blocked the Sonipat-Gohana highway, police arrested Amit and three other accused - Jaipal, Bhupender and Vinod.
The university, the first all-women university in Haryana, is located at Khanpur Kalan village in Sonipat, 180 km from here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why