Khap mahapanchayat lifts age-old ban on inter-caste marriages
Zee Media Bureau/Tarun Khanna
Chandigarh: In a step that could lead to the eradication of honour killing menace Haryana`s biggest Khap Panchayat called Satrol Khap in Hisar on Sunday gave a nod to inter-caste marriages.
The Satrol Khap, which represents 36 communities spread over an area of 250 sqkm , also allowed inter-village marriages within the radius of 42 villages.
However, the marriages within the same village, same gotra and bordering villages are still banned.
Moreover, the marriages can take place only with a prior consent of the parents.
The decision taken by Satrol Khap is being considered by many as a significant reform which can cease persecution of couples, suicides, honour killings and caste conflicts in villages.
The Khap chiefs were reported saying that they wanted to move ahead with time. There was a lot of demand from the youth to change the present rules, they said and added that this resulted in them allowing such marriages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by Fadnavis, Rijiju; Aviation Minister apologises
- Washington Navy Yard lockdown: As it happened