Khap mahapanchayat lifts age-old ban on inter-caste marriages
Zee Media Bureau/Tarun Khanna
Chandigarh: In a step that could lead to the eradication of honour killing menace Haryana`s biggest Khap Panchayat called Satrol Khap in Hisar on Sunday gave a nod to inter-caste marriages.
The Satrol Khap, which represents 36 communities spread over an area of 250 sqkm , also allowed inter-village marriages within the radius of 42 villages.
However, the marriages within the same village, same gotra and bordering villages are still banned.
Moreover, the marriages can take place only with a prior consent of the parents.
The decision taken by Satrol Khap is being considered by many as a significant reform which can cease persecution of couples, suicides, honour killings and caste conflicts in villages.
The Khap chiefs were reported saying that they wanted to move ahead with time. There was a lot of demand from the youth to change the present rules, they said and added that this resulted in them allowing such marriages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000