Separate Sikh panel recommended for Haryana: Bhupinder Singh Hooda
Chandigarh: Amid a growing controversy over the issue, Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda Tuesday said a committee set up by the state government on the issue of a separate managing committee for Haryana gurudwaras was in favour of a separate Sikh body for the purpose.
"The government would take a decision in view of the larger interest of Sikhs of the state," Hooda told reporters here.
The committee, headed by state Finance Minister Harmohinder Singh Chatha, who is himself a Sikh from Haryana, has in its report submitted to the state government, recommended the setting up of a separate body to manage Sikh shrines (gurdwaras) in Haryana. The gurdwaras are presently under the control of the Amritsar-based Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Commitee.
The SGPC and Punjab`s ruling Shiromani Akali Dal have strongly opposed the move by the Haryana government to create a separate body for Sikh shrines in Haryana.
There are 72 gurdwaras in Haryana under the SGPC and they contribute over Rs.300 million to the SGPC kitty.
Hooda said that the Chatha committee report was being legally examined.
The SGPC has warned that it will drag the Haryana government to court if a separate managing committee was set up in the state.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed