Abnormal gene mutation causes early menopause in women
Washington: According to a study, women with harmful mutations in the BRCA gene, which put them at higher risk of developing breast and ovarian cancer, tend to undergo menopause significantly sooner than other women, allowing them an even briefer reproductive window and possibly a higher risk of infertility.
Moreover, the study led by researchers at UC San Francisco showed that carriers of the mutation who are heavy smokers enter menopause at an even earlier age than non-smoking women with the mutation.
While the authors note that further research is needed, given the size and demographics of the study, women with the abnormal gene mutation should consider earlier childbearing, and their doctors should encourage them to initiate fertility counseling along with other medical treatments, the scientists said.
This is the first controlled study to explore the association between BRCA1 and BRCA 2 and the age at onset of menopause, the researchers said.
"Our findings show that mutation of these genes has been linked to early menopause, which may lead to a higher incidence of infertility,`` said senior author Mitchell Rosen, MD, director of the UCSF Fertility Preservation Center and associate professor in the UCSF Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences.
"This can add to the significant psychological implications of being a BRCA1/2 carrier, and will likely have an impact on reproductive decision-making,`` Rosen said.
The researchers looked at nearly 400 female carriers of mutations in the BRCA gene in northern California and compared their onset of menopause to that of 765 women in the same geographic area without the mutation. Most of the women in the study were white because almost all of the BRCA1/2 carriers within the UCSF cancer risk registry are white.
The scientists found that women with the harmful mutation experienced menopause at a significantly younger age - 50 years-compared to age 53 for the other midlife women.
Heavy smokers (more than 20 cigarettes a day) with the abnormal gene had an even earlier onset of menopause -- 46 years.
The authors point out that while their study shows a possible increased risk of infertility for the mutation carriers, further study is needed.
The study will be published online in Cancer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- DNA: World soccer rocked by Swiss arrests of FIFA officials for graft
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Check out: Salman Khan goes across the border in 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser
- Breast cancer changes bone structure to make it spread: Study
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- Baal nahi ball ko dekho: Sachin Tendulkar's tip to tackle Lasith Malinga
- Waiting for Jaypee to come back to me on Indian GP's return in 2016: Bernie Ecclestone
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be announced today at 10:30 AM