Chromium supplements may not lower blood sugar
New York: Are you taking chromium supplement to lower your blood sugar? Prod your doctor again as an alarming research indicates that chromium is not effective at lowering fasting blood sugar in healthy individuals or diabetics.
After analysing nearly three decades of data on the effect of chromium supplementation on blood sugar, a University of Miami (UM) researcher has concluded that chromium supplements are not a good idea.
“Some previous research reported that chromium supplements lower the levels of fasting glucose. However, the effect may have been exaggerated or mistaken for the effects of other concurrent treatments, such as exercise training,” explained Christopher H. Bailey from department of kinesiology and sport sciences at UM.
Chromium is a mineral required by humans in minute concentrations and is obtained naturally in the diet.
Actually, few cases of deficiency have been documented.
Although chromium supplementation does not lower fasting blood sugar, there may be other beneficial effects on the body that require more research, Bailey added.
Fasting blood sugar is only one aspect of human health.
The chromium supplements included in the analysis were chromium chloride, chromium picolinate, chromium nicotinate, chromium dinicocysteinate and chromium yeast.
The study was published in the journal Biological Trace Element Research.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India