Early Alzheimer`s test could help prevent dementia
London: Researchers have found the earliest biological marker in the body linked to the risk of getting Alzheimer`s.
The breakthrough could lead to people who may not fully develop dementia until a decade later being given drugs immediately.
This is crucial as experts believe the key to beating the disease lies in identifying it early when treatment is more effective.
Alzheimer`s is incurable and currently there are only a few treatments which can ease the ravaging effects - but for a limited time.
Lead researcher Dr Ramon Trullas said that if the initial findings can be replicated by other laboratories, the results will change the way people think about the causes of Alzheimer`s, the Daily Express reported.
He said that the discovery may enable to search for more effective treatments that can be administered during the pre-clinical stage.
British experts welcomed the results and called for continued funding for research into early detection.
At present, the only way to accurately diagnose Alzheimer`s is during a post-mortem. The relationship between known "biomarkers" with the cause of the disease is unclear. This makes it nearly impossible to diagnose its early stages with any certainty.
But a study at the CSIC Institute of Biomedical Research of Barcelona could change that.
Researchers found that one biomarker is detectable in spinal fluid at least 10 years before signs of dementia appear.
They confirmed that a decrease in mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) in cerebral fluid may be an indicator for Alzheimer`s and should be investigated as a possible cause.
This discovery suggests that the process of the disease starts earlier than previously thought and that mtDNA depletion may be one of the earliest predictors.
The team believes that by finding a way to block the degeneration, clinicians may be able to diagnose and treat the disease before symptoms even appear.
The study is published in the journal Annals Of Neurology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow