Gene that triggers Alzheimer`s discovered
London: In a breakthrough, British scientists have isolated a "killer" gene which they believe causes Alzheimer`s.
Researchers at King`s College London believe that by identifying clusterin as a trigger for Alzheimer`s they have taken a vital step towards developing treatments to stop the nuerodegenerative disease in its tracks.
Experts at the university`s Institute of Psychiatry believe clusterin sets off a chain of events that causes amyloid-beta, a protein, to start destroying brain cells, the Daily Express reported.
Many drugs prescribed for Alzheimer`s patients aims to cut the amount of amyloid-beta in their brain.
The neurologists are now looking instead at blocking clusterin`s trigger action "in order to ameliorate or even halt Alzheimer`s".
This important study fills in critical gaps regarding the complex way Alzheimer`s takes hold and could lead us towards a new way of diagnosing, targeting and treating the condition more effectively," Professor Clive Ballard, director of research for the Alzheimer`s Society, said.
The research will be published in the medical journal Molecular Psychiatry.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata