Genetic function that could pave way for cancer therapies discovered
Washington: A team of researchers has discovered a genetic function that helps one of the most important "tumour suppressor" genes to do its job and prevent cancer.
According to scientists from OSU and Oregon Health and Science University, finding ways to maintain or increase the effectiveness of this gene - called Grp1-associated scaffold protein, or Grasp - could offer an important new avenue for human cancer therapies.
The Grasp gene was studied in the skin of mice in this research, but is actually expressed at the highest levels in the brain, heart and lung, studies have shown. It appears to play a fundamental role in the operation of the p53 tumour suppressor gene, which is a focus of much modern cancer research.
The new study has found that the Grasp gene is significantly involved in maintaining the proper function of p53. When "Grasp" is not being adequately expressed, the p53 protein that has entered the cell nucleus to either repair or destroy the cell comes back out of the nucleus before its work is finished.
"It appears that a primary function of Grasp is to form sort of a halo around the nucleus of a damaged skin cell, and act as kind of a plug to keep the p53 cell inside the nucleus until its work is done," one of the lead authors of this study Mark Leid said.
"A drug that could enhance Grasp function might also help enhance the p53 function, and give us a different way to keep this important tumour suppressor working the way that it is supposed to," the researcher added.
The study was published in the journal Photochemical and Photobiological Sciences.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview