Low doses of common anticancer drugs can protect against diabetes
Washington: A new study has shown that very low doses of a cancer drug protect the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas and prevent the development of diabetes mellitus type 1 in mice.
Researchers from the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences at the University of Copenhagen also found that at the same time, the medicine protects the insulin-producing cells from being destroyed.
"Our research shows that very low doses of anticancer drugs used to treat lymphoma - so-called lysine deacetylase inhibitors - can reset the immune response to not attack the insulin-producing cells," Dan Ploug Christensen said.
"We find fewer immune cells in the pancreas, and more insulin is produced when we give the medicine in the drinking water to mice that would otherwise develop type 1 diabetes," the researcher added.
Ploug Christensen said that the study is a step towards developing a preventive treatment for type 1 diabetes . It works by blocking the molecules that send the harmful inflammation signals into the insulin-producing cells. In doing so, it prevents the cells from producing a number of factors which contribute to destroying the cells when exposed to inflammation.
The study was published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America (PNAS).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!