New antibodies to combat Alzheimer`s
Washington: Researchers have hit upon a surprisingly new method to make antibodies to neutralize harmful protein particles behind Alzheimer`s disease.
Antibodies are large proteins produced by the immune system to combat infection and disease. They comprise a large Y-shaped protein topped with small peptide (also protein) loops.
These loops bind to harmful invaders in the body, such as a virus or bacteria, the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) reports.
Only a very specific combination of antibody loops will bind each target, permitting the immune system to destroy the invader. It can make all the difference between death and recovery.
The new antibody design process was used to create antibodies that target a devastating molecule in the body: the Alzheimer`s protein.
The research, led by Peter Tessier, assistant professor of chemical and biological engineering at Rensselaer Polytechnic, uses the same molecular interactions that cause the Alzheimer`s proteins to stick together and form the toxic particles.
"By binding to specific portions of the toxic protein, we could test hypotheses about how to prevent or reverse cellular toxicity linked to Alzheimer`s disease," said Tessier, according to a Rensselaer statement.
The new Alzheimer`s antibodies developed by Tessier and colleagues only latched on to the harmful clumped proteins and not the harmless monomers or single peptides that are not associated with disease.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued