Exercise to keep brain active, says expert
New Delhi: Physical exercise has profound impact on brain and can improve cognitive functioning, says senior neuroscientist Vijayalakshmi Ravindranath.
Speaking at a lecture `Human Brain-Complexity Behind the Simplicity` at India International Center Friday evening, Ravindranath said good physical health is very important for brain.
"Physical health has profound impact on brain as physical activity generated more neurons and improve cognitive function," said Ravindranath from Centre for Neuroscience, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
The human brain is the interpreter of senses, controller of movement and in fact responsible for all we embrace as civilization.
It consists of about 100 billion nerve cells which are interconnected through a million billion connections measuring up to 3.2 million km of wiring.
Ravindranath said brain also plays role in deciding our social behaviour, emotions, anger and overall health.
"There is enormous interest and need to understand brain. The European Union has initiated a study - Human Brain Project - worth millions of rupees early this year, followed by the US which is investing $100 million in a similar kind of project," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- This is how Jawahar Lal Nehru reacted when asked about rumours of his second marriage
- This picture of an IAS officer has gone viral on social media - know why
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2016: Wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in class 10th X Result 2016 West Bengal Board is likely to be announced on May 10, 2016
- Four months after Pathankot terror attack, bodies of 4 terrorists buried
- These five super-foods will help you lose weight in the summer!