Recalling last meal may help you lose weight
Washington: Memories of recent meals reduces the amount of food eaten later on, a new research has found.
The research, led by a psychologist at the University of Liverpool, also identified that being distracted when eating a meal leads to increased consumption of the immediate meal but has even more of an effect on later eating.
Distractions, which include watching television, listening to the radio or music or reading a newspaper at the dinner table, impede a person`s awareness of the food they are eating and results in over-consumption, they found.
Researchers analysed 24 separate studies, which had examined the impact of awareness, attention, memory and distraction on how much food we eat.
They found that remembering meals, being more aware and paying added attention to meals results in lower food consumption and could help with weight loss programmes.
Techniques such as writing down previous meals, using visual reminders of previous meals and keeping food wrappers were found to help with food memories and lead to a reduction in meal sizes.
"Our research found that if people recalled their last meal as being filling and satisfying then they ate less during their next meal," said Dr Eric Robinson, from the Institute of Psychology, Health and Society.
This could be developed as a new strategy to help with weight loss and maintenance and reduce the need for calorie controlled dieting.
Dr Robinson noted that the studies they analysed looked at adults with healthy body mass index so additional work is needed to find out how this might affect people who are overweight.
The research has been published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says