Avoid swallowing `bacteria` from pool water in summer
New York: Love to take that evening dip in the neighbourhood swimming pool in this frying summer? Go take one but beware of swallowing pool water as this may be abound with bacteria and parasites.
And do not go by the smell of chlorine as it does not mean that it is devoid of bacteria and dirt.
“That smell is actually chloramines, a substance that results from a mix of chlorine and bacteria, urine and sweat. A really healthy and clean pool would not have an odour at all,” Christopher Ohl, a professor of infectious diseases at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center in North Carolina, was quoted as saying.
The bacteria in the pool make things worse for kids.
“Warm, shallow water and kids in swim diapers can create a perfect breeding ground for water-borne infections, even though the water is chlorinated,” she warned.
Kids who have recently had any gastrointestinal illness should be kept away from water.
Harmful germs such as E coli bacteria and parasites cryptosporidium and giardia spread when there is not enough chlorine in the pool or the pH levels are too low.
People may get infections such as diarrhoea, stomach cramps, weight loss, nausea, vomiting and dehydration.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!