Bigger is better: Brain size affects intelligence
Melbourne: "Size does matter" could be true for human brains as well, as a new study shows that brain size can have an affect not only on people`s thoughts and behaviour, but intelligence also.
A largest global study on human brain, involving over 200 scientists worldwide, has found genes that affect brain size and which may play a part in intelligence and memory function, a media report said.
Margie Wright of Queensland Institute of Medical Research (QIMR), which contributed to the study, said brain size can also have an affect on intelligence apart from behaviour and thoughts.
The study was put together by combining brain scans and genetic data from 21,000 people worldwide.
Wright said that one gene showed a strong correlation with overall brain size while another influenced the size of the brain`s hippocampus, which is involved with memory.
The gene involved with the hippocampus influences the rate at which this part of the brain shrinks with age, she said.
People with dementia often show pronounced shrinkage in the hippocampus, so further investigation to see if there are genetic links to dementia will be worthwhile, she added.
The hippocampus is also reduced in people with schizophrenia and major depression.
A separate study at QIMR showed that those with larger brains scored slightly higher on a standardised IQ test.
Wright said the global brain study, which has created the world`s largest database of brain imaging results, could be a stepping stone for more work into the brain`s genetics and disorders.
"The effects of the two genes on brain size are very small and the links to cognitive function are subtle," Wright said, adding, however, as we can lose up to 10 percent of our brain volume in later life, These results are quite significant in people with the genetic variant that increases shrinkage.
"These individuals could be more vulnerable to factors such as poor diet, excessive alcohol consumption, or little exercise, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400