Bigger is better: Brain size affects intelligence
Melbourne: "Size does matter" could be true for human brains as well, as a new study shows that brain size can have an affect not only on people`s thoughts and behaviour, but intelligence also.
A largest global study on human brain, involving over 200 scientists worldwide, has found genes that affect brain size and which may play a part in intelligence and memory function, a media report said.
Margie Wright of Queensland Institute of Medical Research (QIMR), which contributed to the study, said brain size can also have an affect on intelligence apart from behaviour and thoughts.
The study was put together by combining brain scans and genetic data from 21,000 people worldwide.
Wright said that one gene showed a strong correlation with overall brain size while another influenced the size of the brain`s hippocampus, which is involved with memory.
The gene involved with the hippocampus influences the rate at which this part of the brain shrinks with age, she said.
People with dementia often show pronounced shrinkage in the hippocampus, so further investigation to see if there are genetic links to dementia will be worthwhile, she added.
The hippocampus is also reduced in people with schizophrenia and major depression.
A separate study at QIMR showed that those with larger brains scored slightly higher on a standardised IQ test.
Wright said the global brain study, which has created the world`s largest database of brain imaging results, could be a stepping stone for more work into the brain`s genetics and disorders.
"The effects of the two genes on brain size are very small and the links to cognitive function are subtle," Wright said, adding, however, as we can lose up to 10 percent of our brain volume in later life, These results are quite significant in people with the genetic variant that increases shrinkage.
"These individuals could be more vulnerable to factors such as poor diet, excessive alcohol consumption, or little exercise, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report