Bigger is better: Brain size affects intelligence
Melbourne: "Size does matter" could be true for human brains as well, as a new study shows that brain size can have an affect not only on people`s thoughts and behaviour, but intelligence also.
A largest global study on human brain, involving over 200 scientists worldwide, has found genes that affect brain size and which may play a part in intelligence and memory function, a media report said.
Margie Wright of Queensland Institute of Medical Research (QIMR), which contributed to the study, said brain size can also have an affect on intelligence apart from behaviour and thoughts.
The study was put together by combining brain scans and genetic data from 21,000 people worldwide.
Wright said that one gene showed a strong correlation with overall brain size while another influenced the size of the brain`s hippocampus, which is involved with memory.
The gene involved with the hippocampus influences the rate at which this part of the brain shrinks with age, she said.
People with dementia often show pronounced shrinkage in the hippocampus, so further investigation to see if there are genetic links to dementia will be worthwhile, she added.
The hippocampus is also reduced in people with schizophrenia and major depression.
A separate study at QIMR showed that those with larger brains scored slightly higher on a standardised IQ test.
Wright said the global brain study, which has created the world`s largest database of brain imaging results, could be a stepping stone for more work into the brain`s genetics and disorders.
"The effects of the two genes on brain size are very small and the links to cognitive function are subtle," Wright said, adding, however, as we can lose up to 10 percent of our brain volume in later life, These results are quite significant in people with the genetic variant that increases shrinkage.
"These individuals could be more vulnerable to factors such as poor diet, excessive alcohol consumption, or little exercise, she said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata