Drive against spurious medicines being stepped up
Bangalore: Global public health organisation Partnership for Safe Medicines (PSM) is stepping up its drive against spurious medicines by training healthcare professionals, patients, consumer groups and stakeholders across the country.
"We have evaluated the programme launched in 2010 to protect patients from spurious medicines and identified challenges in ensuring a secured drug distribution system across the country," PSM India Initiative founder Bejon Misra said at a national training workshop here Saturday.
The programme has also raised awareness and has become a model for other countries working to ensure safe medicines.
Drug Controller General of India G.N. Singh said that drug packs would soon bear warning labels in rectangular box with details of adverse drug reaction (ADR).
"A stringent regulation to this effect will be enforced in the next six months. About 54,000 cases of ADR were reported during the past 18 months. We are involving about 100 medical colleges across the country to create awareness about ADR," he noted.
Early this year, Interpol carried out a global sting operation on the multi-billion dollar spurious medicine trade, which led to seizure of 9.8 million doses of illegal medicines, shutdown of about 9,600 fake online pharmacies and scores of arrests.
PSM executive director Scott La Ganga said spurious medicines posed a global and borderless threat and could impact any consumer regardless of age, income or geographic location.
"We must protect patients by educating them on the importance of choosing safe medicines from secure resources. India has made a remarkable and measurable contribution in this area," LaGanga said at the day-long training workshop here on `Secured Medicines & Robust Pharmacovigilance`.
The PSM India Initiative is managed by a group of board members from various professions and the not-for-profit Consumer Online Foundation. It is supported by the union health and family welfare and chemicals and fertilizers ministry and the World Health Organisation (WHO).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced