Ebola suspected case tested negative in Italy
The health officials on Wednesday dismissed the Ebola virus disease suspected case in Italy.
Zee Media Bureau
Rome: The health officials on Wednesday dismissed the Ebola virus disease suspected case in Italy.
As reported by the authorities, the clinical tests carried out at Spallanzani National Institute for Infectious Diseases in Rome ruled out the presence of the deadly virus in a suspected case that was reported on Tuesday.
Giuseppe Ippolito, scientific director of the Spallanzani Institute, said that they can confirm the patient tested negative. The laboratories gave results within six hours from the moment they received blood samples.
The patient, a 42-year-old Nigerian woman, living in Italy's central region of Marche started having high fever, muscle aches, and other symptoms similar to those of Ebola on Monday.
She was admitted to the main regional hospitals in the city of Ancona on Tuesday, where she was kept in an isolated ward.
In August the woman travelled to Nigeria to visit her family and underwent minor surgery, and returned to Italy last week.
This was the third suspected Ebola case isolated in Italy, the two others reported from the northern city of Padua earlier last week were all tested negative.
"A spread of the Ebola virus in Italy is highly unlikely thanks to our sanitary and hygienic conditions," Stefano Vella, director of Italy's National Institute of Health pharmacology department, said.