Even one drink can steer old people off road
New York: If you are aged 55 or older, even one glass of vodka or wine may hit you hard enough to make you a dangerous driver.
Researchers from the University of Florida tested how alcohol affects the driving skills of two age groups - 36 people aged between 25-35 and 36 people aged between 55-70.
They found that although neither age groups imbibed enough alcohol to put them over the legal driving limit, just one drink can affect the driving abilities of older drivers.
"Earlier studies looked at how alcohol affects the driving in younger adults but no one has ever looked at the combination of ageing drivers and alcohol," said Sara Jo Nixon, a professor in the department of psychiatry and psychology at the University of Florida, US.
Researchers assessed the older drivers' ability to stay in the centre of their lane and maintain a constant speed. They also looked at how rapidly they adjusted their steering wheel.
For the older drivers, the small, legal levels of intoxication did affect their driving, said the study published in the journal Psychopharmacology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre