`Expensive healthcare pushing Indians into poverty`
New Delhi: Rising cost of diagnosis, medicines and hospitalisation will push millions of Indians below the poverty line, an official of the World Health Organisation (WHO) said Tuesday.
According to WHO regional advisor Kathleen A. Halloway, a majority of Indians spend around 70 percent of their income on medicines and healthcare, compared to 30-40 percent in other Asian countries like Sri Lanka.
"The problem is that they still suffer from the infected diseases in the absence of best quality of drugs and healthcare facilities. Due to out-of-pocket spending of their income in medicines and healthcare services, about 3.2 percent of India`s population will fall below the poverty line (BPL)," Halloway said at a conference organised by the Delhi Society for Promotion of Rational Use of Drugs (DSPRUD) and WHO here.
According to a survey by the Indian Institute of Population Sciences and WHO in six states, more than 40 percent of low-income families in India have to borrow money from outside the family to meet their healthcare costs.
The study found that 16 percent families had been pushed below the poverty line by this trend.
While spending has been soaring, experts said the issue of poor quality healthcare remains neglected.
"MCI (Medical Council of India) has received many complaints on the side-effects of drugs prescribed by doctors. Since there is less awareness among rural community about the medical council, majority of complaints received are from cities only," said MCI secretary Sangeeta Sharma.
Public hospitals in the country have grievance redressal committees in place, but not many people know about approaching the MCI, Sharma added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands