Fish pedicure spreads infection, disease
The latest beauty craze—fish pedicures—offered in salons and spas across the world have raised serious health concerns.
British experts are worried that the trend that is sweeping the country could spread infection and disease, reports the Daily Mail.
The Health Protection Agency is investigating after the treatment was banned by 14 American states.
The treatment, which costs between 10 and 50 pounds, involves customers dunking their feet in tanks to have their dead skin nibbled away by scores of Turkish miniature toothless carp.
But it has been revealed the pedicures using the garra rufa fish could spread infection from person to person through open wounds.
Salons said they use UV-lit tanks, which are constantly filtered to keep them clear of disease.
But the therapy`s opponents said that unlike usual salon rules, which compel staff to throw away or sanitise tools after each use, the epidermis-eating fish are too expensive to discard.
The agency began investigating after being contacted by environmental health officers.
"The HPA will examine the most up-to-date evidence of any possible risks associated with garra rufa fish pedicures," said an agency spokesman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you